Monday, October 04, 2010

Dress Design for Shabby Apple 'Dare to Design' Contest


If any of you are unfamiliar with Shabby Apple, you seriously need to check it out. I love so many of their dresses, so when they announced that they were inviting their readers to design a dress for their upcoming spring line, I thought I'd give it a go just to stretch myself. This is my dress design for Shabby Apple Dresses: The Daffodil Dress. I wish, wish, wish I were a more talented seamstress and then I maybe would have attempted to sew an actual dress to enter because I think it would come across much better, but since they only require a drawing and even that was pushing my talent envelope, I went that route.

The top layer of this dress is crisp white with pin tucks along the front of the bodice. The yellow buttons and belt tie in with the daffodil yellow under-layer that peeks out at the bottom of a full skirt that hits just below the knee. For fabric I am thinking it would be great in cotton or maybe a cotton/spandex blend to give it a little bit of stretch for comfort. While my inspiration led me to make this a white and yellow dress (more on that later), this would also be beautiful in white and Wedgwood blue, white and red, or even white and black. Now for my inspiration:


I can think of few things that make me more excited for spring than seeing these babies popping up out of the snow-covered ground. Daffodils are the quintessential spring flower to me, and dresses always remind me of flowers, so I thought, daffodils = a great spring dress. So now all I have to do is wait for Shabby Apple to pick their 15 favorite designs and if I'm very lucky and am somehow one of those, I will then beg you, dear readers, to vote for my dress on their blog starting October 22nd. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed for me. And if I don't make it, maybe it will just inspire me to dust off the old sewing machine and attempt to make this dress for myself. We'll see.

No comments: